Thursday, July 19, 2007

Beading w/ Needle Tutorial

As I slowly enter the world of knitting blogs, I am jumping into my first "tutorial". I am currently working on the Mystery Stole 3 (Thanks again, Melanie! It's FABULOUS!), and I started doing the beads with the crochet hook method. My main problems with this were that the holes in the beads are irregular -- probably 1/3 of the beads were unusable with that method. I probably could have used them by going down yet another size in crochet hook, but I was already having trouble getting the full stitch on the hook, without splitting the yarn.

I also have young kids, and I just can't have a dish of beads out, even just while I'm working -- something inevitably comes up, and disaster results. So, without further ado, I'll share my method for beading. I'm not naive enough to believe that I'm the first to do this, or even the first to chronicle, but I did develop the idea through my own thought processes, and as the solution to my own specific problems (I don't mean to detract from any tutorials already out there, depicting the same method!)


The needle is strung with cotton thread, and knotted at the end. I string several beads on to begin with, generally enough to complete a chart, so I don't need to go back to "recharge" from the bead dish several times while I'm working. This eliminates the worry of my kids (or dog... or cat.... or husband) knocking over the beads. They are nicely contained! (Click on the photos to see them larger.

I put the needle through the stitch to be beaded and then put the needle through the hole of the first bead. Now, I hold both the "needle end" and the "bead end" of the string, and push the first bead over the needle. Now it's on the "loop" of the string that is connected to the loop of the stitch.

Now, I use the loop of string to pull the stitch off the needle. I push the bead onto the stitch. And now, just place the stitch back on the needle, being careful not to twist the stitch.

Now, just put the needle back through the stitch, being careful not to split the yarn. When you pull the needle out the other side of the stitch, the needle and string (and beads!) come free of the stitch, and you are ready to knit the stitch as usual.

And, my first attempt at a video.... It's not great, and I was nervous (what can I say, I'm a dork!), but anyway, here it is, for anyone interested.

10 comments:

onescrappychick said...

It's brilliant! I haven't started my MS3 yet.. waiting on my yarn (love yours btw.. what are you using?) but I am defiantly going to use this method. Thanks for the video! I'm a total visual learner and it was great to watch it.

onescrappychick said...

Never mind, I read your last posting. I'm waiting on Zephyr in Coppper, and I only hope it's as pretty as it showed up on my monitor.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!! What a great idea. Luckily the crochet hook method is working for me, but I've had the problem of non-standard hole sizes before and that would totally solve the problem... Bravo!!

Anonymous said...

I've found to avoid splitting the threads when I send a needle back through, to send the eye of the needle through instead of the point.

knittwit said...

Great idea, Elaine! Thank you!

LunariumArts said...

This is an absolutely wonderful idea! Thank you so very much for sharing with us. I know that this will cut my beading time at least in half. :D

~Rebecca W.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea! I'm doing okay with the crochet hook but your method will be a handy hint for other beadwork where the hook might not work so well. Thank you :-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!!!!! Great job!!

I'm using a twist tie in much the same manner, but I have all the bead loose and in a dish (spilling hazard!!). This is a great alternative with having all the beads strung!!!!! You're brilliant! I MUST try this!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, it's ingenious! what a clever method and your pictures and video are excellent!

Steph said...

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

You've saved me!